Paediatric Occupational Therapy & AHA FAQs

Occupational Therapy

What does an Occupational Therapist (OT) do?

To understand Occupational Therapy, we first need to explore what the word “occupation” means. In this context, occupations are also known as daily activities that an individual wants or needs to do. Occupations can also be defined as anything that ‘occupies time’.

Using this definition, children have many different occupations! Children play, learn, eat, look after themselves (getting dressed, using the toilet, tying their shoelaces), they play with others and have their own individual interests to explore.

A Paediatric Occupational Therapist (OT) supports your child to participate in daily activities that are meaningful to them by addressing barriers to participation. This may include individual sessions to learn more about their ‘super powers’ and how to overcome and ‘work with’ their challenges, parent coaching to empower you with tools, advocacy in the community, group programs to facilitate building connection and community.

We strive to build capacity and reduce barriers that may be preventing your child from engaging in these activities. Learn more on our Services page.

How does it work?

When you know the goals your child is working towards, we break down each activity into smaller components to identify the areas we’ll focus on; fine motor skills, sensory processing, emotional regulation, etc. We work together with you the parent/ carer to equip you with tools to help make these daily activities a little easier.  Learn more on our Services page.

What happens in the first session?

The first session is with you the parent/ carer and can be held in person or over the phone. Your child’s Occupational Therapist will review the information you have provided on your intake form by asking specific questions that will help us collaborate with you to set specific goals and form a plan for future sessions. We want you to come away feeling heard and informed of what comes next.

How many sessions do I need?

We’ll discuss this with you after the initial session. We work with children and their families weekly, fortnightly or monthly depending on the needs of your child. Our aim is to empower and upskill you so you don’t need us anymore! Learn more about our process on our Services page.

What can I tell my child about you before their initial consultation?

We want your child to feel comfortable, so we provide you with a little introduction sheet that includes a photo of your child’s Occupational Therapist to share with them, so they can see who they’ll be meeting.

Can you see my child at school / kindy / daycare?

Yes, we can work with your child in these settings if required. However, we are passionate about collaborating with families so we ask that you connect with your child’s OT regularly.

We understand work commitments sometimes make home sessions difficult. We have monthly phone calls with parents and carers in these cases and request at least one in-person session per term to connect and see how things are going at home.

Allied Health Assistant

What is an AHA?

An Allied Health Assistant (AHA) works closely with a supervising Occupational Therapist, providing support through individualised therapy programs collaboratively created by your therapy team to help your child achieve their goals.

Why do I need one?

AHAs often work with children that need more intense support. They may visit weekly for 1-2 hour sessions, allowing your child to build a therapeutic relationship faster and work on the practical application of skills learnt in therapy. For example, coping with transition and sensory overwhelm while shopping.

How does it work?

After an initial assessment, your child’s OT may recommend working with an AHA for greater therapeutic impact.

After getting to know your child, the OT will set goals, create a session plan and then communicate with your AHA who will carry out therapy in the desired environment.

You’ll have a collaborative relationship with both your AHA and OT around your child’s occupational therapy plan. However, the care and support will be provided by your AHA with check-ins with your OT every school term.

Your AHA and OT meet regularly to discuss your child’s needs.

Pricing and the NDIS

How much does each session cost?

Costs vary. Please download our fee schedule to view session pricing.

Does the NDIS cover occupational therapy?

Yes. It comes under capacity building supports. Before our initial consultation, we’ll ask you to sign an NDIS Service Agreement. We can only work with self-managed or plan-managed participants.

Do you charge a travel fee?

Our travel costs encompass the distance traveled to your designated location (KM’s) and the duration of time your OT spends in transit. We split travel time costs in between participatns where ever possible. For further information, please refer to our fee schedule.

How do you accept payments?

Payment can be made via direct deposit or via Stripe which allows you to pay through a QR code on your invoice using Apple Pay, Google Pay or credit card. 

Private Clients

How much does each session cost?

Costs vary. Please download our fee schedule to view session pricing and travel related expenses for mobile visits.

Do I need a referral?

You don’t need a referral. However if you would like subsidised sesssions through Medicare then you will need to see your GP for a care plan. Please visit your GP to determine eligibility ahead of our first session. The GP care plan will need to include our business name. If your GP wants to send a copy of the referral directly, our fax number is 3112 3925.


Do you accept GP care plans?

Yes, including Chronic Disease Management Plans that entitle your child up to five subsidised sessions. Please visit your GP to determine eligibility ahead of our first session. The GP care plan will need to include our business name. If your GP wants to send a copy of the referral directly, our fax number is 3112 3925.

Where are you based?

We are based in Aspley (a shared clinic space with Let’s Talk, Let’s Eat Speech Pathology), North Lakes or we can come to you, meaning you don’t have to worry about getting to one of our two locations.

We can visit your home, School or Kindy. Our mobile service covers suburbs within North Brisbane and the Moreton Bay region as far north as Caboolture.

What forms do I have to fill out?

Before your child can be offered an appointment, you need to complete the following:

  • Intake form
  • Service Agreement

We’ll email these to you after you speak with our client care team.

We’re here to help. So if your question isn’t answered here, please request a complimentary 15 minute phone call with our director or send us an email